1990 – 2009

Category : History

Frank and Ann Ackland

1986 – 1990

Category : History

Alexander John Trebilock

1878 – 1978

Category : History

As from the 10th September, 1878, we assume the sale was put into process, and although the actual Certificate of Title was not signed until 18th December, 1878, we felt it quite appropriate to hold our Centenary on the 10th September, 1978, particularly as we would be too busy with the cherry crop to do anything in December.

From the Photostat copy of the Certificate of Title (which is very faint owning to age), you will notice that the property was bought in the name of Adolphus John  Trebilcock and not John Trebilcock. In order to purchase the property Adolphus John Trebilcock had to take out two mortgages in the names of Samuel Terrell and Edwin Thomas Tripp. The latter of these mortgages being discharged in 1884.

Adolphus John Trebilcock was 24 years of age when he bought Orange Vale, and his wife Lydia, and eight children – Fanny, Kate, James, John, Adolphus, Mirrie, Joe and Nancy, lived here until the year 1901, when they moved over to “Briar Glen”. Orange Vale was then leased to the Barnett family for 5 years, and John Frederick Trebilcock, one of Adolphus John’s sons, remained and worker with the Barnett family.

In 1906 when the Barnett’s lease ran out, James Trebilcock went into partnership with his brother John Frederick Trebilcock and they farmed Orange Vale between them. Granny Woolcock acted as housekeeper until such time as James married, and his wife Mildred took over this duty. During this time (according to an old ledger), Samuel Terrell came back to Orange Vale and rented a room from the Trebilcock brothers.

Residence built for Captain Terrell of the Montacute Mine

1850 – 1878

organevale Samuel TerrellThe property known as “Orange Vale” first came to be on 1st November, 1850, when a land-grant was made to a certain Mr Robert Green, blacksmith, of the Montacute Mine, by Sir Henry Edward Fox Young – Lt. Governor of the Province of South Australia, of 51 acres, in consideration of the sum of 51 pounds sterling.

Witness of this grant was Charles Sturt.

Three years later on 27th July, 1853, Mr Robert Green (then calling himself a farmer) sold the property to a Mr. Samuel Terrell, Captain of the Montacute Mine, for the sum of 400 pounds.

Captain Terrell built the first part of the house and continued to live there for 20 years. During this time John McDouall Stuart, the explorer, came to recouperate at “Orange Vale” after being the first man to trek from the south to north coasts of Australia across the centre. John McDouall Stuart was a friend of Captain Terrell, and it is rumoured that several of the men from Montacute Mine went with Stuart on his expeditions.

On 24th June, 1873, Captain Terrell (now calling himself a “Gentleman” leased Orange Vale to Mr. John Trebilcock, Gardener, for 5 years for the sum of 50 pounds sterling, with the right to purchase the property for the sum of 500 pounds at termination of the lease. The date the lease expired was 9th September, 1878.