Category Archives: History

With Thanks to Joyce Trebilcock

Category : History , On the farm

Recently we had the pleasure of hosting Joyce Trebilcock back to Orangevale. I could have sat and listened to her for days about the life and times of the Trebilcock Family over many decades. She graciously gave us the permission to copy many of her precious photographic memories so we could store for generations to come.

Enjoy looking through the decades, watching the garden grow, the different crops on the property and the way it has grown and changed over the years.

 


Montacute History Walk

Tags :

Category : History , On the farm

history-walk-flyer

 


A Snapshot of History

There has been a lot of changes at Orange Vale over the years and with the aid of Google Earth I have been able to capture the changes since 2002.

Enjoy this  walk in time 🙂

 


2015 –

Category : History

Brader, Rodda, Howell

24th September, 2015 saw a new era with the Brader, Rodda, Howell clan moving in.

The adventures begin for a what could truely be called a tree change. Still only 19 kilometres from the city but what feels like a million miles away.


2009 – 2015

Category : History

Steven and Amy Gavin

A superb offering ‘Orangevale’ is ideally located 20 minutes from Adelaide in a peaceful Montacute valley. Historically the property has been utilised for lemons and cherries but now has been lovingly enjoyed by two families.

The gorgeous renovated stone homestead offers 5 bedrooms, formal living areas and pretty valley vistas over the grazing sheep and orchard. The second brand new residence offers three bedrooms, two bathrooms and an exceptional open plan living area.

A spectacular stone barn now provides a games room and studio which could be converted to more accommodation. The botanic nature of the gardens allows you to admire century old deciduous trees with sprawling lawns as far as the eye can see.

A childrens playground where they can have boat races in the stone lined creek, play forts in the forest, find fairies in the Walnut grove or have fun riding their ponies or motorbikes.

Roughly 50 acres of country surrounds the homesteads with most being absorbed by spectacular hills face country and about 20 acres being utilised for the old Lemon and Cherry orchard where sheep gracefully graze.


1990 – 2009

Category : History

Frank and Ann Ackland


1986 – 1990

Category : History

Alexander John Trebilock


1878 – 1978

Category : History

As from the 10th September, 1878, we assume the sale was put into process, and although the actual Certificate of Title was not signed until 18th December, 1878, we felt it quite appropriate to hold our Centenary on the 10th September, 1978, particularly as we would be too busy with the cherry crop to do anything in December.

From the Photostat copy of the Certificate of Title (which is very faint owning to age), you will notice that the property was bought in the name of Adolphus John  Trebilcock and not John Trebilcock. In order to purchase the property Adolphus John Trebilcock had to take out two mortgages in the names of Samuel Terrell and Edwin Thomas Tripp. The latter of these mortgages being discharged in 1884.

Adolphus John Trebilcock was 24 years of age when he bought Orange Vale, and his wife Lydia, and eight children – Fanny, Kate, James, John, Adolphus, Mirrie, Joe and Nancy, lived here until the year 1901, when they moved over to “Briar Glen”. Orange Vale was then leased to the Barnett family for 5 years, and John Frederick Trebilcock, one of Adolphus John’s sons, remained and worker with the Barnett family.

In 1906 when the Barnett’s lease ran out, James Trebilcock went into partnership with his brother John Frederick Trebilcock and they farmed Orange Vale between them. Granny Woolcock acted as housekeeper until such time as James married, and his wife Mildred took over this duty. During this time (according to an old ledger), Samuel Terrell came back to Orange Vale and rented a room from the Trebilcock brothers.


Residence built for Captain Terrell of the Montacute Mine

1850 – 1878

organevale Samuel TerrellThe property known as “Orange Vale” first came to be on 1st November, 1850, when a land-grant was made to a certain Mr Robert Green, blacksmith, of the Montacute Mine, by Sir Henry Edward Fox Young – Lt. Governor of the Province of South Australia, of 51 acres, in consideration of the sum of 51 pounds sterling.

Witness of this grant was Charles Sturt.

Three years later on 27th July, 1853, Mr Robert Green (then calling himself a farmer) sold the property to a Mr. Samuel Terrell, Captain of the Montacute Mine, for the sum of 400 pounds.

Captain Terrell built the first part of the house and continued to live there for 20 years. During this time John McDouall Stuart, the explorer, came to recouperate at “Orange Vale” after being the first man to trek from the south to north coasts of Australia across the centre. John McDouall Stuart was a friend of Captain Terrell, and it is rumoured that several of the men from Montacute Mine went with Stuart on his expeditions.

On 24th June, 1873, Captain Terrell (now calling himself a “Gentleman” leased Orange Vale to Mr. John Trebilcock, Gardener, for 5 years for the sum of 50 pounds sterling, with the right to purchase the property for the sum of 500 pounds at termination of the lease. The date the lease expired was 9th September, 1878.